October 5, 2017
Recipe of the Month: Stuffed Peppers with Quinoa and ground turkey
This delicious recipe is healthy and so easy to make! Serve it at your next dinner party!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 55 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
Ingredients (you can always double everything):
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- ½ cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 ¼ cup chicken broth (low sodium) separated
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2-3 large bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 1 cup of shredded cheese
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium high heat. Add olive oil. Sauté onions and garlic, stirring occasionally until fragrant (a couple minutes).
- Add ground turkey, cumin, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Break up the turkey using a wooden spoon/spatula, allowing it to brown (4-5 minutes).
- Once turkey is almost completely browned, add uncooked quinoa, tomato sauce, 1 cup of chicken broth, and chopped cilantro. Stir well to combine then cover. Let simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- While the mixture simmers, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and slice the bell peppers in half. Remove the seeds and white membranes inside.
- Put bell peppers halves into an oven proof dish. Fill each half with as much turkey-quinoa filling as you can. Pour remaining ¼ cup of chicken broth into the baking dish and cover tightly with foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil, sprinkle each bell pepper with shredded cheese and bake another 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
This recipe was found at: